We welcome you to join us at ECHO as we use this month to learn more about arthritis, the leading cause of disability in the United States. May is Arthritis Awareness Month, a national event organized by the Arthritis Foundation and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that’s meant to raise awareness about arthritis and recognize how those with arthritis continue to live well.
ECHO proudly supports those with arthritis, as we actively support families and individuals manage the challenges of the painful disease through education, collaboration and hope. Cannabinoids have shown to be beneficial for managing the pain and inflammation associated with arthritis, and we are proud to contribute cannabidiol (CBD) products and in some cases gift funds to those facing special circumstances.
In an effort to bring attention to a condition that affects over 54 million adults and nearly 300,000 children, we’re sharing information about arthritis and the potential therapeutic healing effects CBD and other cannabinoids may provide.
Here are some quick facts about arthritis:
- There are more than 100 different types of arthritis and related conditions. The most common types in the U.S. are osteoarthritis, gout, fibromyalgia, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Most kinds of arthritis cause pain and stiffness at one or more joints.
- While arthritis can affect anyone, it’s most likely to occur in older women.
- For many forms of arthritis, the cause is known, but scientists think genetics, lifestyle, and environment may sometimes play a role.
- There is no cure for arthritis, so treatment typically focuses on relieving pain and swelling.
- Cannabinoids like CBD have anti-inflammatory properties and have shown to reduce joint damage caused by osteoarthritis. They have also been found to reduce pain and inflammation in those with arthritis. You can learn more about the effects of cannabinoids and CBD on arthritis here.
We encourage you to share and read stories of people with arthritis. Use the #SeeArthritis hashtag on Twitter.
You can learn more about cannabinoids and their therapeutic properties for arthritis and other conditions by visiting our Education page. We also recommend these articles:
- 5 Ways Cannabinoids Can Help the Elderly Community
- Do Cannabinoids Have Anti-Inflammatory Effects?
- CBD Has Antioxidant and Neuroprotective Properties. What Does That Mean?