For some of us, gummies represent the pinnacle of tasty treats. These little morsels of chewy, jewel-colored candies are easy on the digestive system, fun to eat, and as snacks go—are not too bad on the waistline.
When it comes to CBD edibles, gummies are the hands-down most popular choice. They offer a measurable amount of CBD and hide the sometimes intolerable taste of cannabidiol. But as most edible aficionados will attest, they can get a bit pricey.
For those of you who know your way around the kitchen, we have the solution. Create your own! Not only will this allow you to choose your own flavors, but you can also make them in the exact potency you are looking for.
You can get real fancy with candy molds and equipment, but for your first batch, keep it simple. Instead of bear-shaped silicone molds, just use a greased cookie sheet and cut them into bite-sized squares.
There are tons of recipes for CBD gummies available online, so if this one doesn’t work for you, a quick google search can turn up some more elaborate concoctions if you are looking for a challenge. However, this is one of the easiest and most affordable versions you can find.
CBD Gummy Squares
The first thing you will need to determine is how potent you want your gummies to be. This recipe will make around 50 two-centimeter squares. The amount of CBD oil you use in the recipe will determine how many milligrams of CBD each square contains. If math is not your strong suit, we’ve broken down some of the most popular potencies:
- If you want your gummies to contain 2 mg of CBD each, use 100 mg of CBD oil
- If you want your gummies to contain 5 mg of CBD each, use 250 mg of CBD oil
- If you want your gummies to contain 10 mg of CBD each, use 500 mg of CBD oil
- If you want your gummies to contain 15 mg of CBD each, use 750 mg of CBD oil
- If you want your gummies to contain 20 mg of CBD each, use 1000 mg of CBD oil
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 1 package of jello in your favorite flavor
- 1 ½ cups of fruit juice or coconut water
- A tablespoon of honey or another sweetener
- Enough CBD oil to make gummies in your preferred strength
- Put your juice or coconut water in a medium saucepan and heat it over low to medium heat. Make sure you do not let the mixture boil at any time during the process. Heat degrades the terpenes and cannabinoids in CBD and could render them ineffective.
- Gently whisk in your honey or sweetener and your jello and allow them to dissolve.
- Once everything is combined, remove your pan from the heat and add the CBD while the mixture is still warm.
- Pour the liquid into a greased cookie sheet
- Refrigerate the cookie sheet until the mixture is set, then cut into 50 equal pieces. Roll in granulated or powdered sugar to keep them from sticking together.
That’s it! Pretty simple huh? Your gummies can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and should keep for two to three weeks, but we doubt they will last that long.
For more information on creating your own cannabidiol products, refer to our most recent article on how to make your own CBD topicals.